Who can bring a wrongful death claim?
If your spouse, parent, or other relative on whom you depend dies from injuries sustained because of the wrongful act or omission of someone else, you have the right to bring a wrongful death action against the person or entity responsible.
Filing a wrongful death claim in Indiana
As soon as you are able after the death of your loved one, you should contact an Indianapolis wrongful death attorney to protect your right to compensation. Your wrongful death attorney will want as much time as possible to investigate the details of the case before filing with the court—do not wait until the last few months before the statute of limitations runs out.
What acts can lead to a wrongful death lawsuit?
According to Indiana law, if your loved one could have maintained a lawsuit against the person who caused his or her injury and death, and if you depended on your loved one for support, then you are entitled to bring a wrongful death suit on his or her behalf.
Typical acts of negligence that may unfortunately lead to a wrongful death include:
- Medical malpractice
- Motor vehicle accidents caused by driving while under the influence of alcohol or drugs, driving while texting, driving while distracted, or other negligent behavior behind the wheel
- Negligent design or hazardous conditions created by the building owner or management
- Other catastrophic injury resulting from negligence or recklessness
What compensation is available in a wrongful death suit?
Typically, damages permitted in a wrongful death case include:
- Medical, hospital, funeral and burial expenses
- Compensation for your loved one’s pain and suffering in any period of consciousness between injury and death
- Losses you suffered as a result of your loved one’s death, including: loss of financial support; loss of service; loss of gifts and other valuable gratuities; loss of parental training and guidance; and loss of society and companionship
Skilled and seasoned Indianapolis personal injury attorneys working to protect your rights
If you recently lost a loved one due to the negligent actions of someone else, the wrongful death attorneys at Ward & Ward can help ensure that you do not suffer needless financial distress in addition to mourning your tragic loss. Ward & Ward invite you to contact them as soon as possible to arrange a free initial consultation about your case, by phone at 888-316-3449, through their website, or simply by visiting their conveniently-located Indianapolis office.
By Charlie WardWard & Ward Law Firm 728 S Meridian St Indianapolis, IN 46225 317-639-9501